Type in a word, see what I have...

Tuesday 27 July 2010

Back in the building...

I made this thing a while ago, posted a few things... Subsequently deleted a few things... and generally didn't tell anyone that it was here.

But, I thought using it may prove to be an interesting experiment, and a means by which in the coming months, and possibly years, I can look back and reflect, on where I've been, and where I've come to.

I doubt this'll be terribly interesting, insightful, or "sucessful", as far as blogs go... But that's really not the point.

For those of you who know me, you'll probably know that I quite like Jesus. You'll also perhaps know, that for a while now, people at my church have been gracious enough to ask me to talk about that a bit. For better or for worse. In chatting to a good friend of mine this morning, my mind was cast back to an excerpt from a talk I did about God's love, around a year and a half ago. A little back-dated, but I think it's still relevant.

'I've been thinking about how people describe faith as a crutch for people who are too weak (which is normally taken offensively), and I was thinking and praying about what that really says about faith, and realised they couldn't be more right. Here's what my conclusion was:

A crutch is a support; it holds you up when you can't stand alone; it stops you from falling and it takes the weight of your burdens away, so you can be strengthened and healed. Call my faith a crutch if you like, because I know I'm weak without God's love holding me up. The only real strength we have, is in Jesus Christ.'

Agree, disagree, or be indifferent :) Just don't get worked up over what people think of the church... There's often an element of truth, and we should never be afraid to laugh at ourselves.

2 comments: